Wednesday, April 17, 2013



Spaghetti In A Hot Dog Bun:

Having The Courage To Be Who You Are

Maria Dismondy



A bully putting a crayon in her hair
There is a young girl that is just a little bit different but she doesn't care!  She is happy with who she is and doesn't care if people think it is weird that she puts spaghetti in a hot dog bun and ketchup on toast.  However, some of the other students do care and they decide to make fun of her and she doesn't understand why!  She will have to decide if it is more important to teach them a lesson using their own medicine or stay true to herself and show them what a caring heart can do!

A mean prank being played on her
I loved this book so much! The author did an amazing job writing a story that had so many messages that are worth sharing with students! Its all about being proud of who you are. Empowerment, is something that so many younger children need because it seems these days everyone is trying to be just like everyone else. Children should embrace their differences. I plan on buying this book and using it in my class and the best part is that the author has an amazing read aloud activity sheet to use after reading this book!  

Here is the link for that information:

Here is a link for the read aloud on YouTube:

Everyone go read this book now!

3 comments:

  1. this book seems really cute! the illustrations look very cute and the moral of the story seems very inspiring to children. i too think it is important for everyone to be themselves and this is something i plan to incorporate into my classroom. i really want to read this book and see what happens in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really want this book! Your book talk really convinced me I need this book. I love the message to this story and the illustrations are phenomenal! This will definitely be a book I use read in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun sweet book. The illustrations trully make this story what it is. It is done in such a unique way and combined with the message and story of the book it seems to be perfect collaboration between author and illustrator. I would definitely invest in this book for my classroom and have it in my special teacher stash so that it could last me many years!

    ReplyDelete