Monday, April 22, 2013

Pride and Self Esteem

Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon


David Catrow

Molly Lou Melon may be a little different then everyone else with her buck-teeth but she never lets it get to her because her grandmother believes her in and teaches May Lou Melon to also believe in herself!  However, Molly Lou must move away from the life she is used to and most importantly move away from the grandmother who is her supporter   She will be faced with a bully who will try and break her but it is up to Molly to remember what her grandmother has taught her!
Molly Lou is proud as ever of her buck teeth.
The best part about this book was the authors writing.  I really liked the transition from beginning to end in the book.  I love how he dealt with the young girl gaining confidence in herself, I loved how she handled the bully, and I loved how the bully handled the situations as well.  Ever turn of the page has a learning opportunity through the words and that is not always an easy feat when reading a childrens' picture book.  I thought the illustrations were a little strange but I am sure children would love them!

This book would be a great book to read to students because it deals with self confidence, it deals with bully issues, and jsut had a lot of life lessons placed in this book.  However, something I really saw in this book was a learning experience for teachers, parents, and just adults in general.  It is up to "us" to empower the younger people around us because if we help them find that confidence with us they will have that confidence through the thick and the thin.  

Online reading of Molly Lou Melon


2 comments:

  1. I love this book! I thought I was extremely cute and has a good message tied into it. There are many lessons you could do with this book and many children could relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that self confidence is an important thing for young kids to gain I feel that these types of books are key for a child's growth

    ReplyDelete