Friday, April 12, 2013

Dear America

Color Me Dark

The Diary of Nellie Lee Love,

The Great Migration North

Chicago, Illinois, 1917

When I was younger I read a lot of Dear America books.  They were my favorites and I read them all the time.  I choose to read this one because it was one I have never read before and it is about a young African American women so I wanted to have some diversity options in my annotated bibliography.  

This book is all about a young African American women in America during the 1919's in Chicago, Illinois.  It is a diary book so the perspectives of what is happening is being portrayed to the readers as if we were reading her diary.  This book was made to empower women through a young womens' eyes as we read her feelings, her thoughts, and her struggles.  These books are great for young girls and even boys to read because it is an easy way to get students interested in history.  This would be classified in the genre of historical fiction and it is very important to tell students that not everything is 100% accurate or true but is based off of real events.

This was not my favorite Dear America book because I feel it could have been written a lot better but nonetheless I suggest  having these books in your classes because they are amazing reads!

List of all books in series.

I also encourage anyone who is not aware of the history of Chicago in 1919 to research and learn something new!



2 comments:

  1. Great job! I think this book would also be great because of how the students could relate or differ from the feelings that are shared in the book. It could also help in the lesson of writing or further, diary and/or letter writing; kind of like a pen pal activity. This book seems great because not everyone knows this history so it would be cool to share this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent blog entry. Building the background of Chicago history so that the reader can understand the context is vital. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete