Friday, March 1, 2013


I Wish I Had Glasses Like Rosa

 

Written by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook
Illustrated by Bonnie Adamson

This week I read a book that I had a lot of connections with.  As I child I hated my glasses more then anything.  I never wore them and I hated the way they made me look because I felt like I was different.  This story is a little different because it is actually about how a young girl wants to wear glasses and she wants to wear them because her friend Rosa wears them.

There is a young girl, named Abby, who absolutely loves to wear glasses!  Her friend Rosa has glasses and Abby wishes she had glasses like Rosa.  Throughout the book, we are introduced to a creative young girl who finds other types of glasses to wear for very different activities.  This is a wonderful picture book for Children to read or be read to and see what it is like to want to be like someone else, execute individuality, and self esteem through whatever attributes that the children are handed. 


This story is a very easy book to read that has easy sight words and the pictures tell all.  If there were no words in the book the children would mostly likely gain the same story from the pictures.  This makes it great for children of very young ages to read on their own or have them be read to.  The book does have a lot of funny parts so the children would be interested and a lot of great conversation about individuality and self esteem would arise.  What is great about this book is that it shows how everyone is different and even Rosa wants something that she doesn't have that Abby does.  There is also a sequel to this book that would be a great follow up lesson called, "I wish I had freckles like Abby."  It is so important to let children know that it is okay to be happy with themselves and proud of who they are.  They shouldn't want to change to be like someone else but instead embrace who they are!

2 comments:

  1. I love the message of this story! It teaches children to embrace what they think might make them different from the other students. I, myself, used to be self conscious about my glasses but once I got to high school I actually started to love wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would be a good book to read to a class. I know that girls can be really cruel to each other. I also know that fashion has a big role in bullying, which is sad. I think it is also important to teach empathy and that people should stand up to bullies even if they are not the victim. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete